Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Impact of a Bargain Shopper

I have to be honest. My face just dropped when my friend Frank recently recommended a book to me called "The Price of a Bargain." As a self-proclaimed and sometimes-proud value shopper, I have often ignored the potential conflict of buying bargain good with my principles of environmentalism and sustainability. I give myself a convenient out - "I was raised in America! And a few items here and there, even if they are absurdly cheap - 4 dollar sheet set anyone? - can't hurt that much right? Plus, if I scored a deal, it was through my own hard work and industriousness, and that deserves to be rewarded at least!

Well, perhaps its time for me to really, seriously reconsider. Apparently, author Gordon Laird exposes the true costs - socially, environmentally, and otherwise - to all of our bargain shopping. On reflection, how is it possible that that sheet set ends up being so cheap anyway? Can it possibly be the product of any sort of reasonable production system, where farmers are paid decent prices for investing in their land, where manufacturers and employees are paid living wages, and where retailers can operate in communities and not from big huge impersonal boxes?

Since I've not yet read the book, I can't say I've decided one way or another, but I can say that Mr. Laird's book is now on my reading list. If you want to read a good review of the book, you should view this post written by my "friend" Frank, who is apparently trying to challenge my entire life. So, I don't promise that you won't find me in Target or Bed Bath and Beyond anymore (changing a lifetime of consumer indoctrination takes a lot of effort) but I do promise that when you do find me there, I will more likely have a look of intense contemplation and conflict on my face in that clearance aisle.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to Frank, for turning you on to that book, Wayne. It's an interesting topic for anyone to consider - how trying to live in a sustainable manner fits in with the rest of your values and life priorities.

    I hope that it goes near the top of your reading list, and I'm very curious to see what you think of it. Let me know how it is!

    After that, put Deep Economy by Bill McKibben on your list. It hits on related topics and was the book that I was trying to tell you about the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you know, the reading list is going to be set back a bit in the near future, but definitely. Both of those are going near the top of my list, right next to a Michael Pollan (any Pollan) book. :)

    ReplyDelete