Saturday, April 21, 2012

Accor takes a huge step...

Accor Hotels, one of the largest hotel groups in the world, takes a huge step with the adoption of their new "PLANET 21" program for sustainable hotel development. While concrete conservation goals remain relatively unambitious it seems (due to structural reasons based on the realities of hotel economics - large up front investments coupled with low per guest costs and a focus on occupancy rates, issues that I researched for my Master's thesis) one part of the initiative stuck out in my mind as very promising. Namely, utilizing the high visibility of hotels to enlist the participation of guests and also to educate them. Incidentally, this is the idea that I originally wanted to write my thesis on, but during the course of my research, I found that the industry was very far from considering this. How Accor goes about implementing this part of their plan has me very curious. I'll keep you posted.

Find the original re-published article here on Greenbiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment