Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Speaking Up

For the first time tonight, I spoke at a city council meeting.  As a volunteer/member of Greenbelt Alliance, a local land conservation / smart growth advocacy organization, I spoke in favor of a proposed high-density, infill, mixed-use transit-oriented development that would be a more environmentally sustainable than more single family home suburban sprawl.  

I spoke my piece in front of the 7 Mountain View city council members - regular people that are my neighbors with normal jobs like being a professor, engineer, business owner.  And it was enlightening to realize that for all the grand policies and efforts on the macro level (federal or global), this is where the rubber hits the road.  Right now, local cities (and really the city council members elected by the public) decide what developments get built or not (and if they are high-density, transit-oriented and environmentally sustainable); whether or not to adopt green building policies that apply to all development; if local government fleets run on biodiesel or favor green procurement procedures; etc. 

These people get elected by the community - and take public comment about all of their business.  It doesn't happen behind closed doors, or in a far away, unknown place.  For me, it literally happens down the street with decisions made by neighbors and other people in my community.  And I can choose to participate - I can express my opinion and have some influence (or not).  And if I don't participate in the democratic process, my voice will not be heard.  If I want to make the world a better place, I need to step up. No more excuses. It's time to speak up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment